Born in Colombia. Master in Fine Arts at National University of Colombia 1998.
Based in Miami Fl. since 2008.
Professional photographer of Fashion, editorials and advertising during 25 years . Painter and Drawer .
• Counselor in the Graduation Project on Physical Engineering of student Melissa Palacio from Universidad Nacional de Colombia 2.008, winner of the global prize Fringie Art Competition California 2008. (Scientist Photography)
• Guest as a Visual Artist at the Miami Short Film Festival 2013.
• Nominated to best experimental film at the Miami Short Film Festival 2013.Personalized
As a teacher
• Currently teaching at Unilatina University. Miami Gardens since 2015.
• Teacher of photography in fine arts career at National university of Colombia 2005-2006
• Design professor at the University of los Andes, Bogotá, 2008.
• Personalized classes of photography and drawing.
• “Pompas de jabón, la simetría de la naturaleza” at Parque Explora Medellín (Colombia) 2014
• “Dime con qué te identificas y te diré que tan buen artista eres” at Casa Cultural de el Poblado(Colombia) 29/01/2014
"...The images portray torsos of iconic archetypes of soldiers or Centauric references to man animals who would certainly devour the innocent observer, if the creatures were to be real. The dark, reddish dried blood colors intensify the awe of the images and, heightened by uneven textured layers of oil, increase the sensation that these images are indeed alive. The experience of meeting his oils was like meeting for the first time a menacing dog. You stretch out your hand gingerly as the animal comes closer, sniffs the hand and most of the time starts wiggling his/her tail..
...As an artist Santiago is keenly connected to the beat of his inner drums evoking ECHOES of the divine and at the same time becoming aware of his very own human condition.
For one Santiago is all about art and the craft of same. His creative DNA is authentic, anchored in Humanistic values and deep understanding of his responsibility as artist. These ethical energies have catapulted him to be one of the most important working artists in South Florida. His works are at par with the British painter Francis Bacon(Santiago and Francis must have met in prior incarnations). Fact is Francis Bacon's works are no longer affordable for the average collectors.His works are at the level of museum acquisitions paid for by endowments..." Giora Breil
Acrylic on Canvas
72" x 92"
... don't let happiness and celebration make you forget about thoughtfulness and good judgement... #artwork @santiagobetancurz #santiagobetancurz #fineart #masterpiece #miamiartweek #wynwoodart #acryliconcanvas #livepainting #minotaur #theseus #hunting
Body, Death & Spirit
I've been working in this serie. I made them thinking about the suffering of people affected by the virus.
Feel the struggle to breathe.... to Live.
Find a way to help them.
Sculptures by Santiago Betancur
Miami - Florida
"His work begins with a memory that is a knot of memories which are woven around each other. When the knots become too tight, Betancur reaches in, pulls them out and sets those beautiful monsters free".
Neil de la Flor. Knight Foundation. 2012
"The artist also uses photography to bring us close-up views of the extraordinary, fantastical patterns created when light hits the surface of soap bubbles".
Karen Kedmey. Artsy. 2014.
His passion for photography started more than twenty years ago. Through his career he had the opportunity to work as a fashion photographer with the best model agencies in Colombia.
He discovers beauty trough his lens and the light always take special place on all his photos.
Copyright © 2018 Santiago Betancur - All Rights Reserved.